I’m interrupting our regularly scheduled inspirational post (Elizabeth Mitchell’s words of wisdom have been rescheduled for May the 20th) because I need something from you. The last time I did this was because my book Red got nominated for the DABWAHA Award in 2012 and I mobilized you all into a fun, heady campaign that got me past the first Round against Kendare Blake. That was awesome. And it showed me the power of this platform.
Now I’ve got something much more serious to talk about. A way more important reason to mobilize.
If you have spent ANY time hanging out at #ROW80 then you’ve heard of Lauralynn Elliott. She has been a sponsor just about every single round. She’s one of the biggest #ROW80 cheerleaders and is absolutely fabulous about commenting and checking in on people. And y’all, she needs our help.
Last week her husband was put in the hospital. He’s got a massive blood clot in his lungs and another in his leg. This is a hella dangerous condition to be in. Lauralynn lost her best friend to the same thing a couple years ago. In this case, it was caught, and he’s on blood thinners, but it takes time for these things to resolve. Up to two weeks, according to the doctors. And then there’s the recovery time after. So Mr. Lauralynn can’t work right now and neither can Lauralynn herself. And no work means no income. In these difficult financial times, we all know that’s a really tough spot to be in.
But we can help!
I have a number of schemes in mind, so this will be developing over the course of the week. Keep your eyes peeled. Here’s what you can do (pick one or all–your choice!)
- First and foremost, if you are interested and able, go buy one (or more) of Lauralynn’s books. That’s direct support of her as an author and will additionally help with her rankings on various and sundry sales platforms, which will increase her visibility. They are available across all major ebook platforms, and several are available in paperback.
- Tell your friends. If you aren’t able to purchase (and even if you are), take the time to tell your friends about her books. Post a tweet or a FB status update. Use those social media platforms to get the word out. If you’ve got a friend who likes ghost stories, tell them about See Me. Know a reader who love vamps? Well Guardian Vampire is just for them. This costs you nothing but a little bit of time and could make a big difference in her visibility.
- If you are a published author and you have an ebook or paperback you can donate to the cause, email me at kaitnolanwriter (at) gmail (dot) com. I’m working on putting together some prize packs for another scheme. More details to come when I know what I’m working with.
- There is a Fundrazr campaign for direct donations. People, there are over 6,000 of you on the #ROW80 mailing list. If everybody donated just $1, ONE, we could help out tremendously with two months of living expenses. This bad boy comes equipped with every social media button imaginable so GO make your donation, whatever you can afford, and tweet, Facebook, Pin, Google+, email, whatever everybody to GET THE WORD OUT.
- And above all, drop by Lauralynn’s blog and let her know that we’re thinking about her and she and her hubby are in our prayers and thoughts.