Here’s a little, unofficial check-in for you all (it is the between ROWnds break, after all) as we prepare for a whole new Round of Words in 80 Days. Are you ready? Have you designed some yet? If you’re having trouble figuring out what to do, why not try the S.M.A.R.T. strategy? It’s worked for a lot of people. It may be just what you’re looking for.
- Specific — work daily on The Greatest Magnum Opus Ever as opposed to write every day
- Measurable — do 10 pages of revision each week on TGMOE instead of revising things as they catch your eye
- Attainable — set a Test Mile; if you exceed it, great, but plan to do an amount of work you can guarantee to do. I’m a big fan (of course!) of Those Five Sentences, but maybe you’re working on queries or line edits… you can use the same strategy there with a bit of tweaking
- Relevant — if you’re trying to write an article on hippos, you may not want to spend your ROWnd researching the craft of iron smelting in Industrial New England (though, with enough time and effort, I’m sure there is a story there!)
- Time-based — because our Rounds of Words go for 80 days, there is already a built-in time-frame to your goals, but not everything you do will need that long. Some things might need a day or a week… some might need all year; the point is to make sure you give yourself a time to get those things done
There you go, something you can do. And if in doubt, start small. You can always add more later.
Oh, and in case you didn’t know where it was, here’s our goals linky. Add your goals and we’ll save the links here for the whole ROWnd so you can easily go back and find them whenever you need a refresher:
Sorry, but since this is an unofficial check-in, we don’t have a linky for that today. For now, feel free to use the comments or our FB threads to let us know how you’re doing. 🙂